LMEP offers courses in the following areas:
- Sheep & Goat
Why take the Livestock Medicines Education Program?
- The course and accompanying material are designed specifically for producers, with practical information that can be put to immediate use on the farm:
- To increase returns
- To enhance food safety
- To build consumer confidence
- To complement Quality Assurance Programs developed by commodity organizations
- To share ideas and learn with other livestock producers
- The Ontario government has delayed the introduction of statutory and regulatory initiatives to support the Livestock Medicines Program, until further policy analyses can be completed. A LMEP certificate is not required to purchase designated non-prescription livestock medicines at this time.
- Some commodity organizations require the successful completion of this course for Quality Assurance Programs. Contact your provincial commodity association for details.
What will you learn?
- The course covers three basic objectives:
- Develop a team approach by assigning responsibilities
- Read, understand and follow the label
- Identify ways of improving on farm management systems
- Through proper purchasing, handling, storage and use of livestock medicines you will:
- Decrease costs through correct dosing and reduced wastage
- Learn that diagnosis is the basis of all livestock medicine use
- Minimize risks to animals and humans
- Improve animal health and performance
- Enhance food safety and consumer confidence